Tacos are Mexican classics. So crispy and crunchy, they may have various fillings from light vegetarian to rich meat mince. Regardless of what inside the taco, most often they are topped with guacamole, a creamy sauce made of fresh ripe avocados.
Speaking about this green berry (yes, that’s right!), WebMD names 5 reasons why you should eat it: first, avocados are very rich in nutrients among which are 20 vitamins, minerals, folate, fiber, and beta-carotene; second, they are low-calorie foods with buttery texture that is excellent for substituting the mayonnaise; third, avocados contain monounsaturated fats that help to low the level of cholesterol in the blood; forth, avocados are rich in iron that is why they are oxidized when they are cut; last, due to a large amount of potassium it helps to control blood pressure when used on a regular basis. So once you decide to make chicken tacos, find some time for cooking guacamole, a healthy and tasty complement to the dish.
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Serves: 4 (8 tacos)
For the chicken filling
1 medium onion
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
2 cloves garlic
salt and spices
For the salsa
1 red onion, chopped
3 ripe tomatoes, cut into small cubes
1-2 fresh green chili pepper, finely chopped
pinch fresh parsley, chopped
1 lemon or lime, squeezed for fresh juice
1 tbsp tabasco (optionally)
For the guacamole
2 ripe avocados, stoned, peeled and chopped
1 lime, squeezed for fresh juice
2 tbsp cream
For the bedding
½ head iceberg lettuce for bedding
- Prep the vegetables for the fried meat: chop the onion and peppers into small pieces. Pour some olive oil in a moderately hot pan. When the oil is heated, add the prepared vegetables. Fry and stir till they are soft.
- Add chicken mince to the vegetables. Make sure the flame in not high. While cooking, add some salt as required for the chicken and vegetables. Along with this add some paprika and adjust the spice level according to your choice.
- While the chicken is still getting fried, add crushed garlic. Give a few quick stirs just to make sure that the meat is completely well cooked. Put it aside.
- It’s time for the salsa. Cut the onion and tomatoes into small cubes. To spice it up a bit, add chopped green chili pepper. Put it all in a bowl, add a pinch of fresh finely chopped parsley. Add a few sprinkles of salt and pepper. Finally, squeeze a small lemon. Stir evenly. For a typical Mexican touch, add a little bit of tabasco. The salsa is ready.
- Let’s make the creamy guacamole. Prepare the avocado: take ripe ones because it is easy to smash them with the back of a fork for a creamy mass. Put it in a bowl and sprinkle with some salt. Add some cream for even more creamy and buttery texture. Finally, add a few splashes of lime juice. Whisk it to the lumpy mass.
- Shred the leaves of lettuce and reserve in a plate until for the use.
- When four components are ready, it’s time to make tacos. Take ready-made corn taco shells. First, bed a taco shell with lettuce, then place a spoonful of chicken mince, some salsa to top with and finally a dollop of guacamole. Repeat this with every shell.