Chicken soup is the meal familiar since childhood. It is believed to be an effective treatment for common cold and it is also good to eat after food poisoning. At least, this is a common ritual many people go through. Well, even if you are not sick at all, chicken soup is a healthy meal to eat. But it will take time to cook a perfectly flavored chicken soup, so school yourself in patience and vegetables since a good soup requires a range of greens. Celery is among the last.
Celery is not only a flavorful food but also an amazing remedy. It is known to as a natural way to slow down aging, improve digestion, calm the nervous system down, and it beneficially affects the heart. It is suggested to eat celery in case of kidney disease, rheumatism, and gout. Apart from curative properties, celery gives pleasant flavor and taste to any dish, the broth is no exception. So if you are about to make the chicken soup, make sure you have all the ingredients, do not sacrifice any of it. Believe us, once you have them all, the soup will be delicious!
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
2 chicken breasts
2 middle carrots, peeled and cut
2 middle onions, chopped
4-5 stalks celery, chopped
1 red/yellow/green bell pepper, seeded and cut
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2-inch piece ginger, peeled
1-2 bay leaves
5-6 whole pepper
2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Fill 3/4 pot with filtered water, remain some space for bubbling and frothing. Put chicken there, add salt (about 1 tbsp) and heat it at high heat. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables.
- Wash and clean the vegetables: peel the carrots, prepare the onions, chop off the ends of the celery, cut and seed the pepper, peel the garlic cloves and ginger. Now cut the vegetables in the way you prefer, either dice them or cut in large cubes but leave ginger uncut. Actually, it is better to have it in a single lump because you will have to take it out of the soup before it is ready and it is much easier to take out a single piece. You may make cuts on the surface to give it a sliced-up aspect. Put vegetables aside until broth is ready.
- When the water is starting to boil, you will see the froth growing on the surface. For a clear and transparent soup, it is recommended to take the froth away. You can use a spoon for that. Once the froth is over, put a bay leaf and some whole peppers, turn the heat low and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- When the chicken is ready, use the tongs to take it away, let it cool down and take all the meat off the bones, peel off the skin, shred meat into pieces and put it back into the boiling broth.
- Add chopped vegetables to the boiling chicken; if you see that the water has boiled out, you can add some to the amount you prefer the soup consistency. Let the soup boil at low heat for 10-15 minutes more until the vegetables are soft enough.
6. At the end, take out that piece of ginger, add a pinch of cut fresh parsley and savor the gorgeous