Linguine with Pomodoro sauce
This is a quick Italian meal that you can cook with little effort yet to savor it with great pleasure. The zest is the homemade sauce that tastes great when it is right off the stove. The basic ingredient of the sauce, as you could guess, is the tomato, the vegetable discovered in Peru that changed the world cuisine once and forever. Till 1820 it considered being poisonous until Colonel Robert Johnson ate a bucket of tomatoes in public. Well, this might be an exaggeration but the fact that tomatoes became sought-after is true. Now there are about 10,000 sorts of tomatoes!
Tomatoes do not contain cholesterol and they are rich in fiber, as well as in vitamins A and C. In addition, tomatoes contain lycopene, an organic pigment. Lycopene is the most powerful antioxidant, and, in combination with vitamins C and E, protects our body from the damaging effects of free radicals. Hope, these facts will inspire you for cooking delicious and healthy dinner.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
12 oz. linguine
3 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
5 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
3 large fresh basil sprigs
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Bring water to a boil and cook linguine according to the instructions on the package but drain it 2 minutes before tender.
- While linguine is boiling, preheat a skillet and add olive oil. In a hot pan put onion, fry and stir it until soft (about 5 min). Then add garlic and let it fry for 2 more min. Stir occasionally.
- Peel tomatoes if you don’t like pieces of tomato skin in a sauce. Though it looks natural and adds a nice homemade accent to a meal. Chop them coarsely and add to the onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 15 min at medium heat occasionally stirring.
- When tomatoes are soft, use the back of your fork to mash them. Add sugar to a puree and basil, let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add nearly cooked linguine and let is simmer for a couple of minutes to absorb the aroma of the sauce. Serve it with parmesan and fresh leaves of basil. Buon appetito!
To fully enjoy this Italian meal, have a glass of nice red wine and eat slowly, dreaming about summer and warm sea.