Paneer Makhani (Paneer Butter Masala)
If you want the dish that has the smell and taste of India but includes a few ingredients, consider you’ve found it. This is paneer makhani or paneer butter masala, one of top 5 dishes served in the Indian restaurants. With that it is very easy to cook even for the beginner. Cashew nuts are among the ingredients of paneer makhani that add the gravy a buttery taste and consistency.
Someone find cashew nuts too fat and oily but they are not what they seem – cashews are less fatty than walnuts, almonds or peanuts. Moreover, they are rich in useful substances including proteins, carbohydrates, starch, dietary fiber, natural sugars, and more. Cashews contain B vitamins, vitamins PP and E; they also have minerals such as calcium, potassium, sodium, magnesium, iron, copper, zinc, manganese, and selenium. By eating cashews regularly in small quantities you can constantly fill the body with the necessary nutrients. Paneer makhani is one of the numerous ways how you can eat cashews and the dish that is worth cooking.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onions (optional)
1 ½ cup ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
handful cashew nuts (10-12 nuts)
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp turmeric powder
pinch garam masala powder
pinch kashmiri red chili powder
1 ½ tbsp butter
1 bay leaf
2-inch cinnamon stick
3 green cardamoms
1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
3 tbsp cream
2 heaped cups paneer, cubed
- Heat up the pan, add olive oil and onion. If you do not use onion, omit this step and add chopped tomatoes at once. Cook till they are mushy.
- Add spices: garam masala, coriander, and turmeric powder. Give it a quick stir. Now add cashews and saute well. Cool down the mass.
- Make a puree out of a cooled red mixture. Use a blender and a bit of water to make a creamy mass. Blend to smooth puree. Put aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add spices: cardamoms, cinnamon, and a bay leaf. Let is simmer for a minute. Now add the ginger garlic paste. Saute 1 minute, stir eventually. Pour onion tomato puree and mix. If you see that the mass it too dense, you can add some water to look it like gravy. Once you are satisfied with the consistency, cover the gravy and cook for 4 more min.
- Meanwhile cut paneer. You can cut it any shape you like, cubes are most common. Add paneer to the gravy. As a final step add fenugreek leaves, mix everything and let it simmer for a minute for paneer to absorb all the flavors.
- Garnish with cream and fresh coriander leaves.
For a quicker cook, use a ready-made tomato puree, grounded cashew nuts and no onion. It will save you a half of time.