Stir-fried vegetables and rice
Stir-fried vegetables and rice can be a side dish as well as the main course. In both cases it is delicious but as the same time simple to cook. This recipe has a lot of vegetables that you can substitute to match your taste but we recommend to always have asparagus in it. The reason is that asparagus is easily digestible, low-calorie and contains a lot of vitamins and nutrients. Among the last are vitamins B1, B2, B9, C, E, A, PP, macro and micro elements such as zinc, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium and iron.
Asparagus is also rich in asparagine – this is actually where the name comes from – the substance that helps in expanding blood vessels, lowering the blood pressure and removing ammonia from the body. Asparagus is recommended to people who suffered or have a risk of a heart attack since asparagine stimulates the work of a heart muscle. For a long time asparagus was considered the food for the aristocrats. Well, it sounds like asparagus will turn your vegetable and rice dish into a gourmet cuisine so give it a try if you have not cooked it yet.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
¾ cup rice (brown or long-grain white)
1 ½ cup water or vegetable broth
½ pounds asparagus
1 yellow or red bell pepper
½ head broccoli
5-7 white mushrooms
1 large yellow or red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
sesame seeds (optional)
½ tsp red pepper flakes (if you like it hot)
- In a saucepan cook the rice according to the package directions. Let water or broth boil, put the rice, stir it and let it simmer until ready (about 20 min). Put aside.
- Meanwhile, clean and chop all the vegetables. Preheat a wok to 350 degrees, pour some oil and soy sauce (don’t use oil for an oil-free meal) until very hot and then add the garlic. Let it fry for 30 seconds to flavor the oil.
- Add all the veggies. Stir-fry them at medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes until they are tender but not sodden. Do not cover a wok.
- Add the rice to a wok and stir thoroughly. Let is simmer for 1 min.
- Garnish the meal with sesame seed and parsley before serving. Try not to burn your mouth, the dish is very delicious!