How to Remove Dye from Your Hair Safely
If your hair color is dulling or you’re ready to move on, then maybe you need to use a hair color remover and return your hair to its natural color. Also, wearing any bright, chemical-based hair dyes can be harmful to your hair’s thickness, volume, and strength. According to WebMD, men and women can use many natural and professional remedies for removing hair color.
The pros and cons of a professional hair color remover
Most people who want to wash out hair color tend to go to the neighborhood pharmacy to buy a professional hair dye remover. This option can be great for removing red hair dye and other bright colors, while natural hair color removers can’t do this. However, most over-the-counter hair stripping remedies contain harsh chemicals that may cause the common hair problems like the irritated scalp, dandruff, thinning, and split ends.
But, if you still opt for a professional hair dye stripper, you can pick between 2 options:
- A hair color stripper – they work like bleaches and can wash out hair dye, even the few layers of it completely;
- A hair color corrector or reducer – unlike a hair dye stripper, these products can reduce the depth of hair color with the minimal damage to your scalp. All hair color correctors can only remove the artificial pigment, without touching your natural hair color.
It is hard to tell the best hair color remover between these two options. Both professional remedies from these categories, despite the manufacturer, need 2-3 times to remove hair dye completely, especially if you used a bright color. Each time the used remedy will shrink the color molecules in your hair, gradually washing it out. You need to follow the instructions and keep the remedy on your hair for 20 minutes, at least.
The pros of professional hair color removing remedies:
- Can remove any natural-like permanent and demi-permanent hair dye, even it has been with peroxide;
- Can be bought in any drugstore.
The cons of professional hair color removing remedies:
- The mild-to-moderate damage to hair, depending on the condition of your hair and the intensity of hair dyes;
- Can turn to be ineffective for unnatural colors (like yellow or green). In this case, some shades may change or remain completely untouched, even after a few uses;
- These remedies are quite expensive, and, in the most cases, you need to buy a few of them to remove hair dye completely.
The natural remedies that can remove color from hair
If you don’t like an idea of stripping hair color with professional remedies, you can follow the recommendations given by the experts from Bellatory.Com and use some homemade recipes for removing dye from your hair:
A bath with Epsom salts
Epsom salts can be good not only for cleaning your back acne but also works as a natural color remover for hair with semi-permanent, blue and purple dyes. The bath with Epsom salts, however, can’t be good for a deep brown or black color on your hair. You can make the hair rinse with Epsom salts by adding a few cups into a few liters of water and soaking your hair in it for as long as possible.
Baking soda with lemon juice or shampoo
Baking soda is one of the best cleaning products that can also be used as an efficient hair color remover. There are two ways of using baking soda for stripping semi-permanent hair dyes:
With an anti-dandruff shampoo
- Depending on your hair’s thickness, you need to take a tablespoon of baking soda with a tablespoon of shampoo. For very thick hair, mix the components with a 1-to-1 ratio;
- Spread this mixture on your hair and scalp;
- Leave it for a few minutes;
- Rinse it off with warm water.
With lemon juice/water
- Mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice with one teaspoon of baking soda. You need to get a paste;
- Apply this paste all over your hair;
- Let it sit for 45 minutes;
- Rinse hair with warm water;
- Use a conditioner immediately after the rinse.
Keep in mind that removing hair dye with baking soda can’t work immediately. The remedies may only lighten your hair and can’t remove the hair color completely, after the first use. You may need to wait for a couple of days and repeat the method again to improve the result.
Vitamin C powder
If the previous natural remedies for removing hair seemed not safe or effective enough, you can try a Vitamin C treatment. This is the most non-abrasive method for removing semi-permanent dyes, particularly dark colors. Also, this method may help if you want to remove dark hair dye quickly. You need to use Vitamin C for stripping hair color in such way:
- Buy a package of Vitamin C powder or pills;
- If you picked tablets, you need to crush them until getting 1000 mg of powder;
- This amount of Vitamin C should be mixed with your favorite conditioning shampoo;
- As a result, you will get a thick paste;
- Wet your hair in a shower, then apply the paste all over the head, from the roots to the ends;
- Then wear a shower cap for 45 minutes with the mixture under it;
- Rinse off the residue with warm water;
- Condition your hair after using this remedy.
According to the user reviews, this method may work only if you apply it after a few hours since you dyed your hair.
How can you remove hair dye from your skin?
If you have got the stains on your fingers and face after coloring your hair at home, you may need an effective and safe remedy for removing hair color from your skin. The beauty experts from Harper’s Bazaar strongly advise against an acetone-based nail polish remover that most women and men use for cleaning their skin from hair dyes. Consider using a gentler method that won’t damage the delicate skin affected by chemical-based hair dyes.
Surely, there are some professional hair dye removers for your skin, but they are hard to get and can’t be called the budget ones. Instead, you may use the so-called “hair dye removing” bath for skin:
- Take and mix the equal part of any gentle laundry detergent, baby oil, dish soap, and olive oil;
- Soak a damp washcloth with this mixture;
- Gently rub the stained skin for a few minutes.
If you have not succeeded in removing hair color on your own, the experts recommend ceasing the experiments with your hair and go to a professional salon. Fixing the results of your bad experiments may cost much more than a salon procedure for removing hair dye.