Night Creams Are Not Just For Old Ladies
Most beauty experts believe that applying a night cream is an essential skincare tip for women over 30. However, trends in the cosmetic and dermatological industry show that more and more millennials are beginning a skin care regimen even in their early twenties. By taking care of skin before signs of aging start, these signs may be postponed years. One of these care techniques is adequately moisturizing and using SPF on skin exposed to sun. Many studies have also found that using a quality cream at night can help to refresh and rejuvenate tired, dry, and loose skin overnight. Using the best night cream for your skin type can deliver many benefits including moisturizing, anti-aging, and revitalizing properties.
What is a night cream?
Basically, a night cream is a cosmetic product that allows your skin to absorb beneficial components overnight, while you are sleeping. According to the StyleCraze team, you may want to pick a night face cream with nourishing and anti-aging components like:
- Vitamins A, C, E;
- Oils – jojoba, olive, apricot, rose, carrot seed, frankincense, rose hip;
- Aloe Vera;
- Organic honey;
- Shea butter;
- Jasmine extract;
- Amino acids;
- Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA);
There are 2 basic types of night face cream – anti-aging and deep moisturizing. They each have unique properties and are to be picked based on your skin type:
Firming, lifting, anti-wrinkle, or anti-aging night creams
These are the products aiming for skin revitalization. If you are looking for the best night cream for the 30s, consider choosing one from this category. Just make sure that you buy a retinol cream for overnight use. Also, for a better skin complexion and reduced fine lines, the best anti aging night cream should contain components like glycolic acid, salicylic acid, and retinyl acetate.
All these ingredients can increase the growth of new skin cells and may lead to the reduction of age spots, fine lines, and wrinkles. But, keep in mind that people with sensitive skin may have irritation and increased sensitivity even if they use a hypoallergenic cream that claims to be the best anti wrinkle cream. In this case, the best choice is to apply all-natural night creams, without any chemicals or using only lighter daily moisturizers with anti-wrinkle properties. Also, you may want to avoid exposure to the direct sunlight when applying these night creams. Otherwise, you won’t be able to see the results from their use.
Night moisturizer, ultra-hydrating, deeply nourishing, or restorative creams
All these titles describe the second type of basic night creams that provide the deep moisturizing effect for the dry skin. You need to seek the best night cream for dry skin rich in emollients. These components are also present in day creams, but the dry skin tends to absorb the same components better at night time, when your body is relaxed at maximum. Also, keep in mind, that such types creams are not good for people with oily skin. Any night cream for oily skin is to remove the excess oil overnight and has to be applied with a cleanser and tonic.
The differences between night and day creams
There is a strict differentiation between night and day creams – all manufacturers tend to produce all their cream lines in 2 varieties, for the daily or overnight use. This classification was done for a reason, however, there is not much difference between these two types of facial creams.
Most day moisturizers are considered to be lighter and the best of them already contain the components with the Sun Protection Factor (SPF). Even the best night moisturizer doesn’t contain any SPF ingredients and your skin may “feel” it to be heavier and more hydrating. To minimize the irritation from the daily sun exposure, many anti-aging night creams contain the active components like retinol and retinyl acetate. Keep in mind that using a night cream based on retinol during day time may increase the risk of the skin irritation.
Theoretically, you can apply a night cream during the daytime. But, at least, consider applying above it a good face moisturizer with SPF 15.
However, you need to keep in mind that night creams were formulated specifically for hydrating the skin while you are asleep. The night creams are richer than day ones, and that is why wearing them during a day can make you look shiny. According to the multiple studies, the skin absorbs active components better at nighttime. Also, the skin’s cell regeneration is higher at night. Most night creams are irreplaceable because only they can keep the skin nourished and repaired from the damage.
The potential benefits of night creams
The use of night creams can be very good for your skin complexion, texture, and overall health. The online magazine, StyleCraze, names more than 10 benefits of regular night cream use:
- Soothesfacial skin;
- Supplies moisture to dry areas and gives it time to absorb;
- Promotes an even complexion for the skin;
- Results in a finer skin texture;
- Boosts collagen levels for skin rejuvenation;
- Helps blood circulation;
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles on the face;
- Prevents skin from sagging;
- Makes your skin softer;
- Slows down the aging process of your skin;
- Restores the natural elasticity of the skin;
- Renews skin cells;
- Nourishes the skin with vitamins and nutrients.
Choosing a night cream
It is crucial to pick up a night cream that suits your skin type. To prevent any possible adverse reactions, consider following these selection tips:
- Make sure that the night cream is not too thick because it may clog your pores and prevent your skin from “breathing”
- To avoid any allergic reactions, choose a hypoallergenic and fragrance-free product
- If you are in your 20’s, consider choosing a night cream with natural components like honey or essential oils
- If you are over 30, the best choice for you is a night cream with active components like retinol and antioxidants
- Women who are over 40 should look into creams based on peptides, vitamins, and soy extract
- If you are over 50, it is essential to use a night cream for mature skin with extra moisturizing effects.
How to get the best results
In order to get the most benefits from night cream use, you may want to follow some beauty tricks:
- Before applying the cream, wash your face thoroughly;
- Only use a dime-size amount from the cream jar, overuse will only waste the product;
- Gently rub it onto your face. Do it in upward, circular motions, to massage your skin at the same time;
- Don’t apply the night cream (unless it is an eye cream) on your eyelids.
A beauty tip: if your skin is very dry, you may use a night face moisturizer for dry skin, along with a separate, emollient-rich sunscreen day cream.