How Can You Stay in Shape on a Road?
Being on the road more than 10 times per month is not an excuse to drop your regular crossfit or fitness program. There are some guidelines that you can follow to stay fit on a road, even without the expensive services of a fitness trainer abroad or in a hotel gym. The experts from Men’s Fitness and WebMD offer the fitness tips for men and women who need to travel a lot and want to stay in shape on a budget.
How can you follow your health-&-fitness routine on a road?
Staying healthy, active and keeping your shape on a road is simpler than you think. Like with any other item on your to-do list for planning a vacation or business trip, you can pick up a suitable travel exercise program that won’t require much of your time or money. Here are some expert tips on how you should plan your travel fitness program:
Make regular workouts part of your travel
When you travel, you schedule most things – from the airline booking to rental cars to hotel reservations. Every single detail has to be planned in advance if you wish to cut the unpleasant situations during your trip to the minimum. So why not to schedule a health-fitness program? Put the workouts on your calendar and send yourself the notifications via emails to fulfill this schedule like any other meeting or activity in your timetable.
Many fitness experts recommend exercising in the early morning. In such way, your workouts can’t interfere with your business meetings or leisure activities. Also, the morning workouts can boost you with energy for a whole day.
Figure out ways for working out
Basically, you have two common ways of staying fit on a road – take portable travel exercise equipment with you or visit a local gym in your hotel or the nearby area. Most 3-to-5 star hotels have gyms. If you are not sure that the booked hotel has a gym or pool, call beforehand to find out the workout prospects within a 10-minute walk from your hotel room. If the hotel has a gym, you may want to specify its working hours and the range of its equipment. In such way, you can decide whether you will need to bring along the new exercise equipment like a swimsuit or resistance bands or not. If you prefer following the DVD workout plan, make sure that your hotel room has a DVD player.
Pack a pair of favorite sneakers
When you travel, you will probably never think of leaving your cell phone or laptop at home. Your favorite tennis shoes or sneakers deserve the same attitude. Make sure to pack an old pair of sport shoes to prevent any blisters from new ones while traveling.
Don’t get lazy
During your travel, even the best-planned workout program can be disrupted by the flight delays, traffic, and busy schedules. Or just because of your laziness because during a vacation you got used to resting a.k.a. doing nothing. However, even if you missed your “scheduled” workout, you can, at least, follow a simple exercise routine. Sit-ups or push-ups, yoga stretches or a 20-minute walk can make a difference and better than just laying in your hotel bed 24/7. You can even exercise in an airport. For example, you can skip the electronic walkways and take the stairs.
Take some healthy snacks and bottled water
Staying hydrated and eating healthy is no less important than doing exercises. That is why make sure to packs a few healthy snacks – like apples, dried fruits, granola bars, or a trail mix that you can enjoy on the plane or during stops after a long car drive. And always carry bottled water because traveling may cause severe dehydration. Also, water can calm down the hunger cravings and boost your energy.
The simple travel workout program
If you are used to crossfit at home, you can follow a simple workout plan for travelers. This easy 2-day workout plan may substitute for your regular crossfit exercises:
The first day
- Take a dumbbell in your left hand (only);
- Walk around with this weight straight over the head – like a waiter;
- Short walk with a dumbbell like you carry a suitcase;
- Hold the dumbbell like a suitcase, and then do a deadlift;
- Do presses with one-hand overhead;
- Bench presses with one hand (the right hand has to be free);
- Do the side bends
The second day
- Do the same exercises in the same order with the dumbbell in your right hand;
- All your reps and sets have to depend on the weight accessible (to keep the energy). You need to work out for feeling good.
Instead of this 2-day workout program, you can do such simple exercises each day
- 10 pushups;
- 10 goblet squats;
- 9 pushups;
- 9 goblet squats;
- 8 pushups;
- 8 goblet squats;
- Continue until you do one repletion of every exercise. In total, you can do 55 pushups and 55 squats. This is a quick and simple workout for all body muscles.
Top 3 activities for working out on the road
If you don’t want to visit a gym or take the travel exercise equipment, you can still work out doing these simple activities:
- walking around to your meetings and destinations. You can save money and work out while doing this. In addition, you will be able to see more sight in a foreign city while walking around;
- install a pedometer app or use the device. The recommended amount of steps for a good workout per day is 10 thousand steps;
- always take the stairs, especially if you live on the 10th floor or higher. This can be a great cardio workout.
Travel workout equipment that won’t take up much space
The best thing about the modern fitness equipment is that you can fit the whole travel gym in one carry-on bag. The team of Men’s Fitness magazine recommends sticking to such options of affordable and portable workout equipment if you are planning to be a road longer than 3 days:
- Resistance bands cost only $50. Also, they are very compact and can be used for training all parts of your body. By means of a door anchor, you can attach the bands and get a variety of different exercises.
- Push-up bars. The best portable equipment for the upper body exercise. With these bars, you can ease the strain on your wrists while working out. They can also protect you from the germs on the hotel carpeting or floor.
- Jump ropes. If you prefer jumping for the cardio workout, consider packing the jump ropes. Also, this equipment can improve your coordination and posture.
- Suspension trainers can be also attached to a hotel door, tree, or pole. This equipment allows working out against your body’s weight to do different compound exercises. You can improve the core strength and stability. These exercises are specifically beneficial for office workers who have a desk job.
- Yoga mat in your suitcase will allow meditating and doing stretches whenever you are. Yoga exercises are good for people who want to improve flexibility, posture, strength, and get relaxed.
- A portable exercise bike. If you can’t imagine your life without a regular cycling fitness plan, then taking a portable bike on vacation is one of the best options for you. Especially, if you have a trip to the destination with great cycling routes. A portable exercise bike can be easily folded to fit your car’s trunk. Alternatively, you can rent a normal bike at most cycling spots in any green zones and parks in big cities and small towns all over the world.
As you can see, following a travel workout can be simple and under budget. All you need to have is a strong desire to stay in shape.