Hydrosols: Rose Water Skin Care
If you like to browse beauty blogs or health websites, then you have probably noticed the term “hydrosol” or “rosewater”. In most cases, it is mentioned in the context of the natural skin care. Hydrosols are natural flower water solutions made by distilling petals or leaves of plants to create a softly fragrant extraction. Hydrosols, unlike their essential oil cousins, contain water soluble components that are not contained in essential oils. These sprays can be used as perfumes, facial toners, moisturizers, and aromatherapy sprays. One of the most popular hydrosols is Rose water, for its wonderful smell and therapeutic benefits. According to multiple studies held in the United States, rosewater for skin affected by dryness and irritation can be a great solution for people who are looking for both a moisturizer and something to refresh your skin. In order to enhance the moisturizing effect, certain combinations like rosewater and glycerin are offered.
Benefits of organic rose water
Rosewater, just like essential rose oil for skin, offers the natural ingredients to soften your skin and help keep it glowing. According to the team at StyleCraze, using a homemade rose water drink or lotion can be beneficial in a several ways:
- Using rose water for skin may normalize its natural pH balance;
- Rosewater can help beat eczema, dermatitis, and the flare-ups of facial acne;
- Rose water can be added to your homemade creams and lotions to increase their moisturizing effect and revitalize the skin cells;
- Mild scars, skin, and wounds can benefit from rose water;
- For cooling irritated or sunburnt skin, rose water can be also helpful;
- It may help to prevent the spread of bacteria on the skin;
- The antioxidant properties of rosewater can result in strengthening and regenerating skin cells and tissues;
- Rosewater is popular due to its nourishing and moisturizing properties;
- Applying rose water daily may prevent the premature development of fine lines and wrinkles.
Top 5 rose water uses for your skin
These rose water benefits will motivate you to start using this remedy in your daily skincare routine. Here is how you can use pure rose water:
Natural cleanser with rosewater for face
In order to create a powerful cleanser for your face for the daily use, you can mix 1 cup of rose water, 10 drops of essential rose oil, and 2 teaspoons of glycerin. This natural rosewater cleanser can easily wipe off dead skin cells and dirt off your face, without causing allergies or dryness.
Using a rose water toner
Most toners offered at the market are based on skin-drying chemicals or alcohol. Applying these toners daily may result in extreme dryness of your skin and the spread of acne (which is the opposite of what you want!) Using a rosewater toner instead can prevent these issues. You can even make one on your own using the recipe offered by StyleCraze:
- Let rosewater chill in a fridge for a few minutes;
- Soak a soft cotton ball in chilled rose water;
- Apply this toner immediately after cleansing your skin to close the open pores and add a pleasant floral fragrance.
Adding rosewater to moisturizing creams
To increase the effect of your day or night cream/lotion, you just need to add a few drops of rose water into it. Then rub your hands with some “upgraded” cream and use it on your skin. You will be able to notice the results at once. Mixed with glycerin and other popular components in moisturizing creams, rosewater can make your skin very supple and soft.
Alternatively, you can make your own rosewater moisturizing face mask by combining 2 teaspoons of rosewater with 2 teaspoons of organic honey, and 1 teaspoon of coconut or avocado oil. All these 3 components have powerful moisturizing and antioxidant properties. Let this mask soak in for 10-15 mintues and then wash off with warm water. Don’t forget to moisturize afterwards!
Rosewater in your after-sun spray
Skin dryness and rashes are definitely triggered by excess sun exposure, but can be treated by a DIY rosewater spray for face and body. Consider making an after sun rose water face spray in this way:
- Crush 15 Tulsi leaves;
- Mix them with 200 ml of pure rose water;
- Keep the mixture in a spray bottle;
- Before using keep it chilled in a fridge.
Prevent acne with rose water
Rosewater can be good news for acne sufferers. Mixing it with the fresh juice of one lemon and applying on your face with acne pimples daily will help your skin dry out those blemishes but won’t strip away natural oils. Let the mixture sit for, at least, 30 minutes. Then rinse it off with cold water. If you keep on applying it on your face for 3 weeks, you will be able to see the visible improvement of your skin. Acne flare-ups can be prevented while the blemishes and scars may eventually go away.
How can you replace a commercial makeup remover with rosewater?
Removing makeup before going to bed is an essential skincare ritual. And instead of chemical-based makeup removers, you can cleanse the residue of cosmetics from your face with the help of rose water. Here is how you can do this:
- Buy rosewater and coconut oil;
- Combine these ingredients in equal parts. Before mixing, consider melting coconut oil on the stove until it melts. Mix the components with a whisk or wooden spoon;
- Pour the mixture into a jar. Store it in a dry place, at room temperature.
- Gently apply the mixture to the face covered in makeup. You can use your fingers or a cotton pad. Gently rub the areas with makeup. Change the cotton pad once it gets soaked with the makeup residue.
- Rinse off the paste and see that your makeup has disappeared and your face feels soft and clean.
The rosewater shopping tips
If you are wondering where to buy rose water labeled as “100% organic”, consider following the guidelines given by The Spruce.Com:
- Since rose water is a common cooking ingredient in Middle Eastern cuisine, you can buy it at some local farmers’ markets;
- In the United states, you can find health stores and natural grocers like Whole Foods that carry quality rosewater;
- You can try finding rose water in your local supermarket, likely it is located in the “ethnic food” section. Ask a store manager if you can’t find it on your own;
- Use online shops to get organic rose water directly from Middle Eastern grocers or natural health care shops.
Aim for natural rose water because only 100% organic components can result in the glowing and moisturized skin. If you have allergic or sensitive skin, consider visiting a dermatologist before starting to use rose water.