Home Remedies for Even Skin Tone
It seems that many young men and women have been following the global beauty trend pursuing glowing, flawless skin with an even complexion. However, achieving this glowing effect without special cosmetic in-salon procedures can be a difficult task. Besides, certain external factors may also prevent getting more even skin, and getting rid of those dark blemishes and scars, acne, and pigmentation marks.
When the quest for even skin can be dangerous
According to the experts from SkinCareOrg.Com, there are many factors that may contribute to the worsening condition of your skin resulting in acne, dark blemishes, under-eye circles, pigmentation marks, and a darker complexion;
- Extensive exposure to direct sun rays that may cause skin burning and dryness;
- Usage of certain cosmetic products (lotions, creams, and tonics for lightening skin spots) with many chemicals or causing allergic reactions in your individual case;
- Severe environmental pollution;
- Lifestyle factors;
- Certain skin infections and common sickness;
- Age – the older you get, the less flexible and glowing your skin gets;
- Hereditary factors;
- Hormonal imbalance;
- Excessive smoking and alcohol consumption.
Also, if you are going to buy expensive dark spot cream, at least, make sure that it doesn’t contain harmful chemicals like Paraben, beta hydroxy acid (BHA), butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) and lanolin. These can worsen the flare-ups of acne, add to skin dryness, and prevent the absorption of natural vitamins and minerals. Products with these chemicals may provide a glow to your skin, but this effect may be temporary while decreasing the natural process of moisturizing and cell rejuvenation.
5 beauty commandments for getting flawless, even skin
However, even the best skin tone evening cream with all-natural components won’t help if you don’t follow a daily skin beauty rituals. This ritual is quite simple and consists of 5 major rules:
- Cleansing – to remove dirt, dust, and excess oil from your skin;
- Exfoliation (scrubbing) – to peel off the dead skin cells;
- Toning – to shrink the large pores;
- Facial masks – for lightening skins;
- Moisturizing – for nourishment and keeping the facial skin moisturized.
Top 5 natural products that may help to even out your skin
The Wellness Mama experts believe that certain chemical-based skin lightening products can provide more dangers than benefits to your skin. Compared to costly creams and lotions with harsh chemicals, you may apply certain natural products with the harmless but effective skin brightening effects:
Since Ancient Egypt, honey has been recognized due to its multiple health benefits. Also, honey can be used for beauty purposes. Thanks to its powerful anti-bacterial properties, raw organic honey may help to remove dead skin cells from your face and hands, lighten certain dark spots, acne scars and even moisturize the skin preventing dry spots and giving your skin a natural glow. There are different ways to use honey for hand and face brightening. For example, you may add it to your homemade cream or lotion, or prepare a face mask. Here is one way to do it:
- Buy any organic honey (like New Zealand’s Manuka) and spread evenly over your face or hands;
- Let it sit for 30 minutes;
- Wash off with plain warm water;
- Repeat this honey mask for the face brightening daily to see the result within a few weeks.
As a by-product of cow milk, plain yogurt contains lactic acid that may work as a natural skin brightening agent. Additionally, yogurt applied as facial masks may regulate the production of melanin (responsible for the skin’s complexion and those pesky dark spots you get as you age or from blemishes). Some beauty experts claim that yogurt facial masks may help to shed dead skin cells. The daily use of yogurt masks can rejuvenate your skin and make it more even within a few weeks. It can be mixed with oatmeal or cucumber to achieve better results.
For a period of several weeks, on a daily basis, you may apply plain yogurt as a facial mask. Leave it on your face for 20 minutes. Then rinse it off with plain warm water. Instead of yogurt, you may use warm organic milk (leaving on the skin for 45 minutes).
Cucumber as a universal natural mask component
Cucumber is one of the most popular facial mask ingredients because it is a refreshing and moisturizing agent that may also help bind the collagens to rejuvenate the skin. Besides, cucumbers are hypoallergenic and can be used for all skin types. To improve the skin’s color, you may apply slices of cucumber on the face and leave for 20 minutes. This method works best if done daily.
Papaya as an exotic but effective skin brightening mask
This exotic fruit is a natural source of many essential minerals and vitamins that may also benefit the skin brightening treatment. Recent scientific studies have shown that papaya added in any skin brightening cream, mixed with other natural agents, may result in the skin’s glowing complexion and health. Along with your daily skin treatment, you can use a thick paste of mashed papaya and apply it on the face or hands. Wash it off with cold water (without any soap) after the paste has completely dried on the skin. This method may work only if repeated daily for a few weeks.
Potatoes and milk for removing dark under-eye circles
Those who suffer from dark under-eye circles and spots may try this potato and milk mask. Potatoes can be very good for skin evening because it is rich in Vitamin C, which is capable of regulating the production of melanin. Also, Vitamin C can help exfoliate dead skin cells, reduce under-eye bags and lighten dark circles. When mixed with organic milk, potatoes can also moisturize dry skin. Here is how you can make a homemade potato and milk mask:
- Boil and mash two potatoes:
- Mix mashed potatoes with milk until a thick paste forms;
- Apply a thin layer of this paste to the face or hands;
- Let the mask sit for 20 minutes;
- Rinse off with plain and cold water;
- Repeat this method daily.
Lemon for skin brightening
Lemon and lemon juice are common components in most face brightening creams because they are believed to be good brightening agents, due to their acidic content. The high amount of antioxidants and Vitamin C are great for brightening the skin. Also, lemon may tighten the skin pores because it also has astringents. Due to all these components, lemon may also benefit in regulating the secretion of sebum. You may try this simple lemon mask for many benefits for your face:
- Gently massage your skin with lemon slices in a circular motion to leave more juice on the skin;
- Let it dry for 1 hour;
- Wash off with cold plain water;
- Repeat the method daily.
Tomatoes for skin pH balance
Because of their natural acidic components, tomatoes may promote a normal pH balance that is very important for healthy and beautiful skin. Tomatoes are also added to many skin brightening creams because they are also rich in Vitamin C and astringents that may result in moisturizing and fading dark spots. You can directly apply tomato juice on your face and leave for 30 minutes before washing off with cold water. Alternatively, you can mix tomato juice with lemon juice or buttermilk to increase the skin brightening effect.
Daily tips for enhancing your skin complexion
The experts from Mayo Clinic recommend following a few simple daily tips (apart from your daily skin care rituals) that may result in the all-natural skin enhancement:
- Don’t forget to apply a sunscreen lotion with the high Sun Protection Factor (SPF) – over 30, at least;
- Wipe off makeup before going to bed. This will prevent the clogging of pores and acne;
- If you are traveling or living in locations where there is a lot of dust and sun, don’t forget to cover your face with scarves or use an umbrella when you are outside;
- People with oily skin may need to wipe and wash your skin frequently;
- People with dry skin may benefit from taking fewer hot baths or showers and routinely using moisturizer;
- After a long and busy day, wash your face when you get home to remove dirt, debris, and excess oil. This will help you also to just feel fresher.
It is possible to brighten your skin naturally, however, only a dermatologist may recommend an effective skin care treatment plan if you have many dark spots or facial scars.