Effective and Natural Snoring Relief
Snoring can significantly worsen your personal and social life. If you are a snorer, people may refuse to sleep in one room with you or tease because of this problem. However, recent statistics may make you feel better, because about 90 million men and women in the United States are snoring too.
What is snoring?
Snoring may occur when the relaxed throat structures start vibrating and making noise during sleep. WebMD defines snoring as a sleep disorder that may lead to more serious medical consequences in addition to social discomfort. One of the most serious consequences of loud and excessive snoring can be sleep apnea. This is a potentially dangerous disorder that requires a special sleep apnea treatment provided by medics.
What causes snoring?
According to the Mayo Clinic team, the possible causes of snoring can be:
- Being overweight;
- Sinus problems;
- Smoking, drinking alcohol and some medications. Drugs like Lorazepam and Diazepam can also relax the muscles in the throat and lead to snoring;
- Sleep posture – for example, sleeping on the back may block the airways;
- The structure of your air passages – men tend to have narrower air passages than women and that is why in many cases they are more likely to have a snoring problem.
Find a cure for snoring according to the type
If you are wondering how to stop snoring, consider monitoring your sleeping patterns to identify what type of snoring you have. A few common snoring patterns can be distinguished:
- Snoring with the open mouth – the probable cause can be related to the swollen tissues in the throat;
- Snoring with the closed mouth – may be a sign of some problems with the tongue. You may also need medical assistance or special “stop snoring” device to place your tongue in the right position during sleeping.
- Snoring only when you sleep on your back – this is a mild snoring type that can be improved with lifestyle changes;
- Snoring in all poses – may indicate that you have a severe type that may require only medical treatment.
Medical snoring treatment
Consider consulting an otolaryngologist, or an ear, nose and throat doctor, who may recommend some effective medical snoring solutions like:
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) – this machine can blow pressurized air into a mask a person wears over the nose or face while sleeping;
- Laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty (LAUP) can shorten the uvula with a laser to prevent the throat’s vibrations;
- Wearing custom-fitted dental devices like a snoring mouth guard or snoring chin strap can be helpful in opening your airways by lowering the jaw and putting the tongue forwards.
Bedtime remedies for snoring
If you are wondering how to stop snoring immediately, consider doing the following before going to bed:
- Change your sleeping position – try elevating your head 4 inches to let your jaw and tongue move forwards. You may buy a specially designed pillow for this purpose, or just stack the pillows you have;
- Try to sleep only on one side by means of a tennis ball – consider attaching a tennis ball to the back of your pajama top. The discomfort from the ball attached to your back will prevent you from sleeping on your back;
- You may try to tape your nose with a special nasal strip. Many people say that this is one of the most helpful homemade snoring aids.
Lifestyle changes that may stop and prevent snoring
If you are wondering how to prevent snoring or reduce its symptoms, consider changing your lifestyle habits in these ways:
- Lose some weight to reduce the fatty tissues in your throat’s back;
- Change your diet. Recent studies showed that consuming soymilk or dairy products may worsen snoring;
- Keeping the moist air in the room where you sleep – cold dry air may irritate the nasal membranes. A humidifier may reduce swelling in the nasal tissues;
- Change the pillowcases and sheets more frequently – in such way, you may reduce bedroom allergens (pet fur, dust, mold) that may irritate the throat’s tissues;
- Avoid eating a big meal or drinking alcohol before going to bed – at least, within 3 hours before sleeping.
What are natural ways to stop snoring?
Many herbs and essential oils can work as powerful snoring cures. You may try these natural snoring remedies for some relief:
This remedy is famous for its anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce the swelling of the membranes in your throat. You can try to make a peppermint gargle by adding 2 drops of the oil to a glass of water. Gargle with it before sleeping. Try not to swallow the solution.
If you are wondering how to cure snoring at home, consider using a natural powerful anti-inflammatory agent – olive oil. Try to sip 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil before going to bed every night. Alternatively, you may combine olive oil with another anti-inflammatory remedy – raw honey.
Nasal congestion is one of the most common reasons of snoring. You may try to inhale the steam of some essential oils to unblock your stuffy nose. Consider following this method for making steam inhalations:
- Add 3-4 drops of tea tree or eucalyptus oil into a large bowl with hot boiling water;
- Cover your head with a towel and deeply inhale the steam through the nasal passages for 10 minutes;
- Repeat the inhalations daily.
This is another effective anti-inflammatory remedy that can reduce the severity of snoring. Try drinking chamomile tea before going to bed:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of chamomile flowers (or use a tea bag) in 1 cup of water;
- Boil the water with chamomile for 15 minutes;
- Strain the mixture;
- For a sweeter taste, consider adding 1 teaspoon of honey;
- Drink the warm (not hot) tea before sleeping.
Mild snoring can be treated at home. But, severe and loud snoring may be a sign of sleep apnea. The symptoms of sleep apnea can get much worse than snoring and lead to brief interruptions of breathing while you are sleeping. If left untreated, sleep apnea may reduce the oxygen levels in the blood and slowly cause high blood pressure and an enlarged heart. Visit a doctor if you have these symptoms, feel you don’t get a full nights sleep because of snoring, or wake yourself up with snoring often during the night. There are effective methods for sleep apnea treatment like using a special sleep apnea machine or a surgery. Wishing you a restful night!