Home Treatment of Low Blood Sugar
One of the major sources of energy for the human body is glucose. People derive necessary glucose from fruits, vegetables, grains and carbohydrates. If a person has decreased levels of glucose, this condition is called hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. This condition may cause severe consequences for your health if left untreated. Why is it important to follow a diet and use remedies for blood sugar control? How can you treat low blood sugar symptoms at home?
What causes low blood sugar?
According to the Mayo Clinic staff, hypoglycemia mostly occurs as a side effect of diabetes after regular intake of insulin based drugs. However, it is not necessarily that the low sugar symptoms may occur only in diabetics. You can have hypoglycemia even without other symptoms of diabetes.
These factors may cause low blood sugar levels:
- Too much insulin in your body
- Abnormal metabolism
- Excessive intake of some drugs, especially antidepressants, anti-malarial drugs and even Aspirin
- Drinking too much alcohol or coffee
- Some allergies
- Hormonal misbalance caused by being overweight
- Failure of kidneys or liver
- Starvation or regularly missed meals
- A family history of low blood sugar
Symptoms of low blood sugar
If you are wondering what is low blood sugar, the following symptoms of hypoglycemia can give hints that possibly something is wrong with your blood sugar levels:
- You feel hungry
- You feel shaky or dizzy
- It is getting harder to speak
- Extreme anxiety or fatigue
- Nausea or vomiting
- Pale skin
- Excessive sweating
- Cold hands and feet
- Blurred vision
- Mild seizures
- Blackouts or fainting
The above-mentioned conditions may occur while a person sleeps and this can be very dangerous. A sleeping person with hypoglycemia may start vomiting or lose consciousness. This could even cause a coma. That is why it is important to monitor the blood sugar levels before going to bed.
Medical hypoglycemia treatment
If you want to know how to control low blood sugar using medications, you may follow the recommendations usually given by health care specialists. The first thing that medics recommend buying for low blood sugar treatment is a glucagon medical kit. This kit may help if you suffer from moderate-to-severe forms of hypoglycemia. This kind of kit can be given to a person while he or she sleeps to prevent the severe side effects from low blood sugar levels.
Keep in mind that all these drugs may cause side effects and worsen your condition.
Recommended diet for hypoglycemia
Health care specialists also recommend some foods to improve blood sugar levels including:
- Hard candy;
- Fresh fruit juices;
- Sugar cubes or packets;
- Magnesium rich foods – fish, spinach, and avocados.
However, beware of these foods that may worsen hypoglycemia:
- Muffins and other bakery products;
- Artificial sugars.
To prevent low blood sugar levels, you may consider drinking liquids throughout the day:
- A half cup of fruit juice;
- A half cup of soft or regular cola;
- 1 cup of milk.
Herbs that can control blood sugar naturally
In addition to the foods that can control low blood sugar, you may consider adding the following herbs to your diet:
You may try consuming a licorice root tea to help control your sugar level. This herb can be also associated with natural stress relief. You can prepare the homemade licorice root tea like this:
- Cut the root into small pieces;
- Add to boiling water;
- Leave it to steep for 10 minutes;
- Drink warm;
- Sip at least twice a day.
This herb can serve as a natural source of calcium that may improve the liver condition and affect positively on the pancreas. You may prepare the homemade tea with the dandelion root that can be used to prevent low glucose levels:
- Gather dandelion root.
- Clean the dandelion roots carefully.
- Cut them in small pieces (less than half an inch).
- The roots can be roasted in the oven for 2 hours at around 250 degrees.
- By means of a food mixer or coffee grinder grind the roasted roots.
- Add the roots to a cup.
- Add the boiling water to the cup.
- Let it steep for 15 minutes.
- Sweeten with some amount of honey because the roots have a bitter taste.
- Drink once-twice a day.
To prevent low sugar symptoms, consider eating sunflower seeds throughout the day. Sunflower seeds can help people with hypoglycemia because they have a lot of antioxidant polyphenols. These components may reduce the toxic effect from the harmful oxidants in the liver and the pancreas. You may also try to add powdered sunflower seeds to water and sip like a herbal tea.
Thanks to its chemical properties, parsley can be very helpful in home treatment aimed at controlling the blood sugar symptoms. Also, parsley can improve the liver health and the pancreas condition. You can consume as much parsley as you want in salads. Alternatively, you may try to add parsley leaves in the boiling water. Drink this herbal tea daily.
What you can do to control the blood sugar levels daily
- Reduce your stress levels;
- Stay hydrated;
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day;
- Get enough sleep – no less than 7 hours;
- Maintain a healthy weight to control your blood sugar levels.
There are possible mild and severe forms of hypoglycemia. In some cases, people may be hospitalized because of this disorder. You may consider monitoring your blood sugar levels to know when you need medical help. Ignoring the first signs of hypoglycemia may cause more severe symptoms like dysphoria and coma.