Get Rid of Redness On Face With DIY Recipes
If you have red spots on your face, on your cheeks, nose, and neck, they could be rosacea symptoms. According to WebMD, more than 14 million of people in the United States have red skin on the face because of rosacea without even knowing what this disorder is called. While it may be something else, red blotches on the face are often related to rosacea. Among other red face causes are:
- frequent acne breakouts;
- problems with blood vessels in the facial skin;
- perioral dermatitis;
- rare skin infections;
- long-term allergic reactions.
Only a healthcare specialist can say what causes the facial redness in each individual case. However, rosacea is one of the most common red face causes.
The causes and symptoms of rosacea
The good news delivered by Mayo clinic Staff is that rosacea is not a contagious skin disease. If you are wondering what causes rosacea, the most common reason is an extreme sensitivity to UV rays. Some people’s skin tends to be more inclined to sun damage from direct sunlight.
Genetics is also one of the main rosacea causes. The first symptoms of the disorder are usually seen after you turn 30. Recent surveys revealed that rosacea may affect specific ethnic groups with the Irish, Scottish, Welsh or Scandinavian heritage, more than others.
One of the most unpleasant rosacea symptoms is that it may develop in few months or even years without a person noticing it. That is why many people choose to treat the redness on the face like they are common flushes or acne which turns to be wrong. Besides of a red rash on face, rosacea may trigger such symptoms:
- The so-called “spider veins” – the broken blood vessels that can be very visible all over the face;
- Swollen and painful skin;
- Felling like your skin stings or burns;
- Skin may get rough, dry or scaling;
- Large and inflamed skin pores;
- Some skin areas on the face can become thicken – around the chin, forehead, ears, and cheeks.
- The facial skin may become sensitive around the eyes causing their redness, dryness, itching stinging, blurred vision, and even pain.
A 2009 study done by The Dermatology Outpatient’s Clinic of Jagiellonian University School of Medicine in Kracow, Poland discovered that among 26 men and 43 men, who were diagnosed with rosacea, the factors that triggered the disorder were:
- stress (58%),
- sun exposure (over 56%);
- alcohol (over 33%);
- physical exercises (29%);
- drinking coffee (over 21%);
- eating hot spicy meals (over 20%).
Medical recommendations for rosacea treatment
- Use non-toxic sunscreen products daily.
- Manage your daily stress levels. According to recent statistics, a high percentage of patients with facial redness experience panic attacks, stress, depression, and anxiety related to their skin condition. You may consider calming yourself with herbal teas and the deep breathing techniques to decrease stress levels.
- The intake and use of prescription medications. You can try to apply azlaic creams (Azelex, Allergan, Clindamycin that contain erythromycin and sulfacetamide). Sometimes the cause of rosacea is the bacterial forms of acne. For acne rosacea treatment, you may try to take Metronidazole or Tetracyclines antibiotics (like MetroGel, Galderma, Metro-Cream, etc.) or vitamin D receptor antagonists. All these medications are recommended only for short-term use.
- If you have red cheeks and you are not sure for the reason behind it, you may wear a sunscreen product to reduce the face redness. However, rosacea may be sensitive to the chemicals added to some cosmetic products.
Dietary tips for people with rosacea
Many healthcare experts believe that rosacea symptoms can be reduced after a person changes their diet. Recent studies have proven this theory because they have found a connection between rosacea and inflammatory gastrointestinal tract disorders. That is why you may try to change your dietary habits in order to reduce the redness on face.
What can you eat to lessen the symptoms of rosacea:
- Organic vegetables and fruit, particularly, leafy greens, orange/yellow fruits and vegetables with carotenoids;
- Healthy fats – like coconut oil, avocado, olive oil, nuts, and seeds;
- High-quality “clean proteins” – wild-caught salmon, chicken eggs, grass-fed beef, and legumes;
- Anti-inflammatory herbs — like turmeric, garlic, and ginger;
- Cruciferous vegetables – onion, broccoli, collard greens, cabbage, carrots, and tomatoes.
What foods can worsen rosacea symptoms:
- Any food allergens like shellfish/seafood, gluten, nuts, and dairy products;
- Sugar and processed foods;
- Alcohol and caffeine;
- Trans fats, fried foods, and hydrogenated oils.
Natural facial redness treatments
Essential oils for homemade rosacea cure
Essential oils are frequently recommended even by some dermatologists for patients with redness on face. The benefits of such rosacea natural treatment can reveal results after two weeks of regular use or may not reveal results at all. However, you may try to use the most popular essential skin oils to lessen the symptoms of rosacea:
All these essential oils can fight against skin inflammation and help treat sensitive skin affected by rosacea. You can try to make a DIY remedy with these oils as a natural treatment for rosacea. Take 3 drops of any of the above-mentioned essential oils. Mix them with a ½ teaspoon of coconut oil. Apply this mixture on the affected areas. Repeat three times daily. Keep in mind that there are possible allergic reactions.
Cucumbers for redness on face treatment
You may try to use the cucumber slices for rosacea. Slice a cucumber and let it cool in the fridge for 5 minutes. Clean your face and keep your hair away with a hair band. Place the cooled slices of cucumber on the affected areas and leave them for 15 minutes.
Medical Manuka honey from New Zealand
It is rich in antioxidants that can fight against skin bacteria. You can apply this kind of honey directly on the affected facial areas. Leave the honey on your skin for about 15 minutes then wash off with warm water and moisturize as usual.
Consider visiting a doctor to get a professional medical treatment for rosacea if these natural remedies didn’t turn to be helpful after two weeks.