Natural Relief for Laryngitis
The Mayo Clinic team explains laryngitis as the inflammation of the larynx (the voice box) that triggers the symptom of losing your voice or making it raspy and hoarse. There are 2 types of laryngitis – short-term and long-lasting (chronic) forms. In most cases, chronic laryngitis doesn’t develop and the inflammation of the voice box disappears in less than 2 weeks. But, surely, you need to follow the medical or natural treatment for laryngitis to achieve this result.
What causes laryngitis
- The flu or cold are the most common laryngitis causes;
- GERD – gastroesophageal reflux disease or acid reflux;
- Overuse of the vocal cords;
- Irritation caused by allergies and excessive smoking;
- Long-term use of inhaled steroid medicines (like anti-asthmatic agents).
Chronic laryngitis can be triggered by these, more serious, problems – throat polyps and sores, nerve damages, throat cancer, and thick lumps (called as nodules) located on the vocal cords.
The main symptoms of laryngitis
A hoarse, raspy, deeper than normal and lost voice are the main symptoms of laryngitis. If you have acute laryngitis you may also experience a complete loss of voice. Other symptoms of laryngitis are:
- a dry throat;
- a sore throat;
- trouble swallowing.
Medical laryngitis treatment and recommendations
Research published by the Otolaryngology Clinics of North America explain how to treat laryngitis. The treatment of laryngitis depends on its cause, your vocal demands (for singers and entertainers), and your age and clinical characteristics, as it can be very individual. There are a few ways to treat laryngitis:
- Acute viral laryngitis should be treated with antibiotics like Penicillin and Erythromycin. However, these drugs can cause side effects that may worsen laryngitis symptoms.
- Some people take proton pump inhibitors (also called as PPI) the GERD-related chronic laryngitis. Applied as a laryngitis cure, PPI therapy can provide modest clinical benefits. Research posted by the Harvard Health Publications has shown that the lowest dose of PPIs isn’t effective for laryngitis treatment while a high dose can be dangerous.
- Corticosteroids, also known as steroid hormones, are often recommended for the laryngitis therapy. This is a quite dangerous but effective lost voice remedy that should be applied only for a short term. Steroid hormones quickly heal the inflamed larynx.
- Surgery on vocal cords may be required if you also have throat sores and polyps.
How long does laryngitis last if you treat it? About two weeks. In most cases, timely home treatment will help to heal laryngitis. Check with a doctor if laryngitis symptoms last more than 2 weeks.
Treating laryngitis: home remedies and DIY recipes
Popular U.S. medical expert – doctor Josh Axe – named the 7 most effective home remedies for laryngitis:
A warm salt water rinse
You may be wondering how to cure laryngitis with salt water. This universal remedy is very good for treating rhinitis and a sore throat. To alleviate laryngitis, add a half teaspoon of table salt to a cup of warm boiled water. Gargle with this mixture. Repeat this procedure a few times a day.
Solution with apple cider vinegar
You may also be wondering about how to get rid of laryngitis with apple cider vinegar. This remedy is famous for its numerous antimicrobial properties. To cure a homemade remedy for laryngitis, you should add 2 tablespoons of unfiltered apple cider vinegar, a tablespoon of raw honey into a half a cup of water. Drink this mixture twice per day.
Fresh ginger for your throat
Fresh ginger is one of the ancient home laryngitis remedies appreciated for soothing the inflamed mucous membranes of the vocal box. Boil the slices of a fresh ginger root in a covered pan with water during 10 minutes. Then you need to strain the mixture and let it cool. Add a bit of lemon juice and sweeten the bitter herbal tea with honey. Sip this tea few times throughout the day.
Garlic based mixture for bringing back the lost voice
Antimicrobial garlic can help to kill viruses causing the throat’s inflammation. For a laryngitis home remedy, you can chop few garlic cloves and put them in a jar. Cover the garlic with the equal parts of distilled water and raw apple cider vinegar. Shake the jar thoroughly to prepare the mixture. Then add raw organic honey. Leave it in the fridge for 4 hours. Take 1-5 teaspoons of this syrup every 6-8 hours.
Honey for soothing an irritated throat
Honey is well-known thanks to numerous healing properties. To help cure laryngitis, you can simply swallow few teaspoons of raw organic honey few times throughout the day.
Alternatively, prepare an herbal tea with honey and lemon. Mix the fresh juice from a half lemon with 1-2 tablespoons of raw honey in a cup of hot water. Also, add a dash of cayenne pepper to the tea. Sip this tea twice a day.
If you are looking for one of the most powerful remedies for laryngitis, choose eucalyptus oil. It is valued for its many antibacterial and antiviral properties. Use this oil for inhaling the steam. You just need to add few drops of oil into a large pan with boiling water. With a towel covering your head inhale the steam at least for 10 minutes. Repeat the procedure 2 times a day.
Tips if you are losing your voice because of laryngitis
- Speak softly and rest your voice as much as possible;
- Do not clear your throat;
- Use nonprescription cough suppressants for a dry cough;
- Drink plenty of fluids – warm water, milk, and herbal teas;
- Use a humidifier in your room;
- Stop smoking and avoid the places where people smoke;
- Reduce the acid reflux;
- Try to avoid the upper respiratory infections.
If your throat bleeds and you have a fever over 1020 Fahrenheit, immediately seek a medical assistance.