How to Detox Lungs at Home?
Lungs perform one of the most vital functions in our body and help us breathe. Then why do we ignore the health of our lungs? According to any biology textbook, lungs are sponge-like in texture lungs absorb oxygen and along with whatever else we breathe in. When we inhale, the air at first travels through the larynx and trachea to the left and right bronchi. And only then it goes to the lungs. The lungs consist of the alveoli – micro sacs, which deliver the inhaled oxygen into the bloodstream. We exhale carbon dioxide that is transferred back from the blood to the alveoli. And this whole process takes only a few seconds.
However, this happens only if you have healthy lungs. People with asthma, phlegm in lungs, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or any other serious lung condition, experience many breathing difficulties. Besides medical problems, the lungs can be negatively affected by smoking, polluted air, and bad lifestyle habits or environment can make the lungs dirty. As a result, you may have serious breathing problems. That is why you may need a lung cleanse or detox.
The signs of the polluted lungs
How can you understand that you need a lung detox? Your body will give few hints:
- Shortness of breath;
- Regular mucus in lungs that is also called phlegm;
- Chronic cough over a month;
- The long-term chest pain;
- Dry cough after smoking.
If you are smoking, your lungs definitely need a detox as soon as possible. Covered in tar and other pollutants coming from cigarettes, the lungs of a smoker look horrifying. And the cough is only the first sign of the possible breathing problems that a smoker can have. For instance, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, is the most common breathing disorder among smokers as well as asthma.
The lung cleanse: how can it help?
A regular lung detox can cleanse the respiratory linings of the bronchial passages and the alveoli. They get dirty very quickly because of toxins, harmful bacteria and environmental irritants. For example, the lungs after smoking that received the detox will be able to get to their normal functioning. For other people, after the cleanse the lungs will work better, with reduced swelling and inflammation. Also, a lung cleanse can treat asthma, throat infections, bad breath, bronchitis.
After the detox, the lungs’ vitality will be restored and the mucus will be removed from the airways. You will feel the breathing gets easier.
If you are wondering how to detox the lungs, the best thing is that you can do it on your own, without visiting a doctor.
Home remedies for the effective lungs detox
Castor oil can help clear mucus from the lungs, reduce the inflammation and draw the toxins out. Also, the pack of organic, cold-pressed castor oil can cleanse the uterus, digestive system, and liver. You can use castor oil for a lung detox in such way:
- Take 3 pieces of wool flannel;
- Heat the pack of castor oil;
- Soak the flannel in one cup of the warm oil;
- Lie down on a wide plastic sheet;
- Place the soaked flannel over the lungs areas – your chest and sides;
- Cover the flannels with a plastic sheet;
- Over the plastic sheet you can place a heating pad
- Rest like this for 2 hours;
- Afterward, remove the pack;
- Rinse the body off with lukewarm water;
- Repeat the procedure at least 2 times a week.
People who are looking for a natural way how clean your lungs, may use oregano. It is rich in carvacrol and terpenes serving as the natural lung-cleansing agents. To clear phlegm from your lungs, add few drops of oregano oil to a glass of warm milk. Drink this mixture once per day. Alternatively, you can drink daily 2 cups of the organic oregano tea. It is a very good remedy for asthma. Try to add oregano (fresh or dried) to your daily meals.
In order to detoxify the lungs, especially if you are smoking, you may try consuming ginger. It is a very powerful natural lung remedy. Its compounds are capable of eliminating pollutants from the air passages before they travel to the lungs. Additionally, a 2012 study posted in the magazine Anticancer Agents in Medical Chemistry stated that ginger extracts may help cure lung cancer.
For a lung detox, you can make ginger tea at home. To do this, boil one teaspoon of the sliced grated ginger in one cup of water. Simmer for 10 minutes. Strain the tea and add honey and lemon juice for taste. Sip 3 cups of this ginger tea daily.
A 2010 study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology proved the multiple the anti-congestive and antispasmodic properties of peppermint and peppermint oil. It can really soothe the muscles of the respiratory tract and help boost effortless breathing.
For stronger lungs, you can chew 3-5 peppermint leaves daily. Alternatively, you can drink two cups of peppermint tea daily. To make this tea, add 1 teaspoon of the leaves to a cup of hot water. Let it steep while covered for 10 minutes. Never use peppermint if you suffer from gallstones.
Mixture of Chinese herbs
A well-known U.S. brand that is famous for its natural remedies Ridgecrest Herbals produces the great lung-cleansing product ClearLungs with the mixture of organic Chinese herbs. According to some reviews, the daily intake of this product can help maintain the unobstructed breathing, clean airways, and the normal levels of mucus.
Dietary tips for a natural lungs detox
- Start your day with a glass of lemon water;
- Drink a lot of water throughout the day;
- Eat Vitamin C rich fruits – kiwi, oranges, grapefruit, tomatoes, broccoli, pineapples, and strawberries;
- Consume the antioxidant-rich foods – ginger, onion, garlic, cayenne pepper, turmeric, apples, and green tea;
- Add to your meals the folate-rich foods, like black beans and lentils;
- Pick monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats instead of trans-fat and saturated fat.
Lifestyle tips for keeping the clear lungs
- take a sauna or a hot bath for 15-20 minutes regularly;
- stop smoking or don’t start;
- exercise outdoors (far from traffic and other sources of pollution) to improve your lung capacity;
- avoid highly industrialized areas or wear special masks;
- do not drink sodas, alcohol, and coffee;
- blow balloons or play a wind instrument to increase lung strength.
A periodic three-day lung detox with any of the above-mentioned remedies and the following lifestyle changes can make you feel younger and more energized.