Castor Oil Benefits
The potential of this pale yellow to dark brown oil extracted from castor seeds is enormous. It is extensively used in medicine, cosmetics, industry, cooking and for household use. Castor oil uses are numerous, just like castor oil benefits. However, it is often overlooked as an effective treatment for skin, hair health and beauty. But let us find out what makes this seed oil so exceptional.
Chemical composition of castor oil
One of the main benefits of castor oil is its unique composition. It is rich in ricinoleic and hydroxyl acids, which are essential for hair growth and hair loss prevention. You can often find them in the list of ingredients of hair regrowth treatment products. Castor oil also consists of unsaturated omega-9 fatty acids, vitamin E, minerals, proteins and other nutrients that maintain a healthy condition of hair & skin. That is why castor oil is a fundamental component of many beauty recipes.
Castor oil for hair, eyelashes and eyebrows
Ricinoleic acid, one of the main components of castor oil, is an unsaturated fatty acid, which nourishes hair follicles and controls their pH level; this can enhance the health and beauty of hair. As a result, hair growth is stimulated while dandruff and split ends are reduced. Organic castor oil moisturizes the hair, makes it thick and shiny by penetrating deeply into hair roots. Pure castor oil equally affects eyebrow and eyelash growth. Proteins, vitamins, and fatty acids keep your hair follicles healthy and nourish them. In addition, this oil can help fight microorganisms that inhibit hair growth. Here are some beauty recipes you can try to improve your hair naturally using castor oil:
- Castor oil for hair growth and loss hair prevention – Two times a week massage your scalp and hair with warm castor oil. Do it in the evening before going to bed. In the morning shampoo your hair thoroughly. A recent study introduced on WebMD.com shows that 6 months of castor and rosemary oil hair therapy works as well as a 2% minoxidil treatment against androgenetic alopecia, a hair loss condition that normally results in baldness.
- Castor oil for oily hair – Regardless of how strange oil for oily hair may sound, it really works great, especially castor oil for hair in combination with coconut and almond oils in equal parts. Apply the oil mixture on hair and scalp and go to bed. Let it nourish your hair throughout the night and shampoo in the morning for soft, moisturized hair.
- Castor oil for split ends – Apply a few drops of warm castor oil to the ends of your hair. Wait half an hour and rinse with shampoo. Repeat this procedure several times a week.
- Castor oil for dense eyebrows and eyelashes – To noticeably improve the thickness of eyelashes and eyebrows, wipe them each day with a cotton swab dipped in castor oil. Rub the castor oil in thoroughly. Resulting thicker lashes and brows will be seen in two to three weeks.
Castor oil for skin treatment
Oil from castor seeds is not just a great product for at-home hair care, but is also a good moisturizer for dry skin. It effectively fights against problems of dry, flaky skin, reduces irritation and can even help to smooth wrinkles. It penetrates deeply into the skinwithout clogging the pores and allows the skin to breathe. The beauty and health of the skin are improved because of the high concentration of fatty acids contained in the castor oil. They stimulate the production of elastin and collagen, which slow down the aging process of the skin and preserve its youthful moisture and plumpness. Castor oil can also prevent stretch mark formation during pregnancy and smooth them over after the child delivery. Basically, it works as a moisturizer by helping the skin retain moisture and maintain elasticity. Fatty acids in this oil promote rapid regeneration of tissues, improving the strength and texture of the skin. Here are several beauty recipes using organic castor oil you can try doing at home.
- Castor oil for dry skin – Mix castor and coconut oil in equal parts and apply on the skin area to be moisturized. Leave it for 20-30 minutes, then wash it away. After you remove makeup, apply a few drops of warm castor oil to your face and gently massage the skin. Remove the remains with a paper towel. In the morning, you will see a difference in your freshly nourished skin!
- Castor oil to reduce wrinkles – Every evening before you go to bed, softly massage the skin with a few drops of castor oil. For the desired result, warm up the oil and repeat this technique consistently for 4-6 months.
- Castor oil to prevent stretch marks – Mix pure castor oil and almond oil in the ratio 1:2. Apply daily on the places stretch marks usually appear. If already you have stretch marks and want to make them less noticeable, massage the skin areas with organic castor oil for 10 minutes, then wrap them and apply a warm compress for 20-25 minutes. Repeat this once a day until you reach the desired effect.
What castor oil to buy
When you are ready to purchase castor oil, look for pure organic castor oil that is cold pressed. You can also find good quality Jamaican black castor oil (JBCO) to use for your beauty rituals. Compared to cold pressed castor oil which is light yellow, JBCO is dark brown because of an unusual supplement – it contains roasted castor bean ash that colors the oil. With no science proving the ash benefits, the choice of certain castor oil depends on person’s preferences. You can try either of them to decide which one is the best for your needs. But what is sure about JBCO is that it is more liquid, so it is much easier to apply on hair or skin. Any castor oil can be purchased in a pharmacy or in specialized stores for natural cosmetics. As before using any new lotion, cream or oil, before using castor oil, it is recommended to that you do a patch test to exclude any allergic reactions.
You can find castor oil benefits on such reputable websites as WebMD.com and Sciencemag.org to find many users’ reviews and ratings on castor oil for hair and skin treatment. The majority of people who are familiar with benefits of castor oil first-hand would say this is a unique yet overlooked product with a rich palette of vitamins and nutrients. Add to that organic purity and natural effectiveness and there is hardly a reason not to try it yourself.