Liver-Cleansing Foods and Methods
While many of our organs are involved in getting rid of waste, the only body organ capable of purging toxins is the liver. And the older we get, the worse condition our liver is in because of multiple toxins that it has had to store and purge.
That is why from time to time you need to take care of your liver. A liver flush or detox can be done in various ways. A liver cleanse does not necessarily have to be done by means of medical preparations with side effects. According to the website of Dr. Josh Axe, natural liver cleanse with home remedies can be more effective and long-lasting.
How to understand when you need to detox your liver?
If you notice any of the symptoms listed below it can be the first sign of inhibited disturbed liver function. A 100% healthy liver is also a myth, but the following symptoms, especially if you have more than 3 of them, can’t be ignored as well:
- Gas and bloating;
- Heartburn and acid reflux;
- Yellow skin or eyes – the symptom of jaundice;
- Weight loss occurs abnormally slowly;
- High blood pressure;
- Chronic fatigue;
- Loss of appetite;
- Easy bruising;
- Excessive sweating.
Life-saving tips for getting a healthy liver
The healthcare specialists from Mayo Clinic made a guide explaining how to detox your liver. You will have to change your lifestyle habits drastically but it will only do good for your liver.
Exclude all toxic foods from your daily meals
A healthy liver is not going to happen with a diet high in processed foods. All foods that have refined sugar and hydrogenated oils can be extremely toxic. Fast foods with nitrates and lunch meats are also very bad for health.
Start detoxing the liver with simple replacements of these unhealthy foods:
- Replace chips and snacks with carrot sticks, homemade granola bars and fresh fruit;
- “Deli” meals and “After School” snacks can be replaced by roasted organic turkey or chicken breasts;
- Many Americans eat quick meals like macaroni and cheese or frozen meals for dinner. You can replace this all-American dish with a homemade spaghetti squash containing cheese, walnuts and raisins.
Drink a liver detox drink made of raw vegetables
Eating all the raw veggies that are recommended for a natural liver detox can be problematic. However, you can easily consume many of the recommended organic veggies by making a juice of them. Use a blender to mix a liver cleansing drink. For this drink you can take carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cucumber, greens and beets.
Experiment until you find the tastiest combination of liver detox foods for daily use. For example, you can drink the liver detox juice based on blended carrots, ginger and oranges. This drink is one of the best if you need to cleanse liver very quickly.
Consume more potassium-rich foods
A recent study shows that you need to eat at least 4,700 milligrams of potassium per day if you are striving for liver health. Potassium-rich foods are the best for those who struggle to decrease blood pressure, lower “bad” cholesterol, strengthen the cardiovascular system and detox liver.
If you’re wondering how to cleanse your liver with potassium rich foods, it’s very simple. Make sure you eat no less than 4,700 mgs of potassium per day with such foods:
- Sweet potatoes – one medium sweet potato contains about 700 mgs of potassium, as well as is high in fiber and beta-carotene;
- Organic tomato sauces – one cup of tomato puree has 1065 mgs of potassium. Generally, tomatoes are good food for the liver, because 1 cup of these fresh veggies has 400 mgs of potassium and is also rich in vitamin C, biotin and vitamin K;
- Spinach and beet greens. Fresh spinach is a great source of potassium, and has over 840 mgs per 1 serving. Beet greens contain more than 1300 mgs per 1 cup;
- Banana – one banana has 470 mgs of potassium. This fruit is also very good for digestion.
Eat more organ meats
Not surprisingly, organic animal liver is best food for your liver. Give your preference to grass fed cattle or chicken liver. These foods are rich with folic acid, iron, choline, zinc, copper, chromium, vitamins A and B. Natural beef liver pills are good for those people who don’t eat meat or can’t digest these foods well. Search for pesticide-free and hormone-free liver detox supplements.
The 24-hour guide for liver detox
There is such thing as a quick and natural liver cleanse recipe. LiveStrong.Com offers an efficient 24-hour liver cleansing diet. All you need to do is to follow the step-by-step guide:
- A week before a 24-hour liver detox diet you should eat only organic foods – lettuce, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, citrus fruits, beets, celery, kale, broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus. Forget about canned or processed foods. This preparation is necessary before a 24-hour liver detox.
- Throughout your cleansing day sip this energy-boosting liver cleanse juice:
- dilute cranberry juice with water – 1 part of juice to 3 parts of water;
- into a tea infuser add 1 teaspoon of ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon, then steep for 20 minutes in simmering water;
- let it cool to the room temperature;
- add to the cooled mix the juice of 3 organic lemons and 3 oranges. If the taste is tart, you can add any natural sweetener.
- Do not forget to drink 72 ounces of clean water after consuming 72 ounces of this mixture.
- After a 24-hour detox with this liver cleanse drink you should return to the foods taken during a week before the liver cleanse. Eat such foods as long as possible to have a clean liver.
The most effective liver cleansing foods
In addition to the aforementioned foods good for liver, you can make your daily meals the best liver diet thanks to these foods:
- Daily: drink tea of or take supplements of milk thistle, dandelion or turmeric as the most effective liver detox supplements;
- Garlic is very good for a fatty liver diet;
- Grapefruit that is also the best source of vitamin C;
- Beetroots are good for liver cleanse and detox for kids;
- Avocados can reverse severe liver damage;
- Apples are chosen for a fast liver detox;
- Walnuts are also the best liver healthy foods because of the amino acid L-arginine.
If you still wonder how to cleanse the liver in the most effective way, you can visit a doctor and get more detailed instructions.