What Makes The Ketogenic Diet So Popular?
The ketogenic diet is the most talked about and the most mysterious type of a diet for weight loss. Progressive people including celebrities are actively losing weight by eating roasted chicken! Moreover, they can go to a restaurant and order good keto foods there, for example, a burger without a bun or an appetizing juicy cutlet. Such a ketogenic way of eating sounds phantasmagoric. There are new studies of the ketogenic diet that provide the ketogenic diet benefits of the menu you would never take for the menu of a diet, which causes the body to produce energy from fat rather than carbohydrates. How can that be real? In this article, you will find the information you need to know about what the keto diet is.
The background of the ketogenic diet
The history of the ketogenic diet goes back several decades. During that time it found thousands of supporters among bodybuilders, who strictly keep to a ketogenic diet plan for weight loss, building muscle, increasing power performance, etc. In general, the ketogenic diet is rich in fat and proteins and is extremely low in carbohydrates (usually less than 10% of macronutrients); when on this diet, the body is forced to produce fuel from fats because glucose reserves are being rapidly depleted.
The limited consumption of carbohydrates leads to ketosis, a physiological condition of the body when the concentration of ketones is very high. The last are the biomolecules integrated from fatty acids. The ketogenic diet for weight loss is mainly used for fitness and for health purposes but in complex algorithms you may find some recommendations for ketogenic diet for epilepsy or ketogenic diet for seizures. Both should be applied only with a doctor’s supervision.
Ketogenic diet products
Probably the tastiest part of the ketogenic diet are the foods you can eat. The assortment of the ketogenic diet products is sufficiently varied. The foods that are forbidden on other protein diets are considered good keto foods. It sounds like the ketogenic diet for weight loss is a ready-to-keep diet with no stress and hunger.
Sources of proteins and fats:
- All sorts of cheese;
- All types of meat foods, including sausages;
- All sorts of fish, though preference is given to fatty fish, such as salmon;
- Fat cottage cheese or whatever, depending on your preferences;
- Nuts, but watch out for a number of carbohydrates. Depending on the types, nuts contain from 0.2 to 0.5 oz of carbohydrates per 3.5 oz. Do not fry them, eat them raw;
- Eggs (boiled, raw, fried);
- Vegetable oil, better olive oil since it is better absorbed by the body;
- Pumpkin seeds.
Sources of carbohydrates (0.3 oz in a specified portion):
- Asparagus shoots – 20 items;
- Black beans – 4 oz;
- Broccoli – as much as you can;
- Celery – unlimited amount;
- Cucumber – 8 oz;
- Carrots – 2 medium-seized;
- Green beans – 8 oz;
- Iceberg lettuce – unlimited amount;
- Fresh mushrooms – unlimited amount.
Ketogenic diet menu plan
Now that you know the foods for ketogenic diet, you can make your own tasty menu for each day. The main idea is to eat about 2650 kcal a day where fats make up 1960 kcal, while the remaining 621 kcal stand for proteins.
Below is a sample of a ketogenic eating plan for one day, though you are not limited to it only:
Breakfast – 2 eggs fried in vegetable oil, 1 oz of cheese, 4 strips of bacon. Coffee with cream.
Lunch – a bowl of fresh salad (lettuce, cucumber, celery), seasoned with 1 tbsp. of fat mayonnaise, 6.5 oz of fried chicken, 1 oz of cheese. Water or low-calorie carbonated beverage or other sugar-free drinks.
Dinner – 6.5 oz of steak (grilled or fried), mushrooms stewed with butter, broccoli. Water or low-calorie carbonated beverage or other sugar-free drinks. Coffee with cream.
Benefits of the keto diet
Being a type of a low-carb diet, the ketogenic diet provides nearly the same results. But being also restricted in proteins, it may have greater effect for people who have an increased level of insulin in the blood.
- Weight loss – the amount and quality of ketogenic diet foods reduce hunger, thus such low-carb diet can be easily kept with no stress.
- Seizures and epilepsy control – the keto diet is a way of epilepsy treatment. It allows people to stay seizure-free with a lower amount of medications, though it should be strictly supervised by your doctor.
- It normalizes blood pressure – a keto diet helps reduce insulin secretion, thus it minimizes the risk of high blood pressure.
- Better heart health – since the amount of insulin production is regulated during the ketogenic diet, the chance of cardiovascular system diseases is getting lower.
- It increases physical wellness – your body has the access to a rich source of energy stored in fats. So even when you eat low carbohydrate ketogenic diet foods you are still active and enduring.
As you see, a balanced diet coupled with some preferences of your daily menu can lead to great results. Now when you learn about the ketogenic diet benefits and how healing it can be for certain physical conditions, it depends on you do decide when it’s time for a change.