Do’s and Don’ts: Healthy Foods For Your Skin
Teenage pimples make no surprise because of unstable hormonal balance in teenagers. Over time the acne will disappear. However, adult acne can cause confusion and frustration since it shows that a person may have health disorders that can also lead to appearance problems.
The problem of pimples is not limited by sex, age, nationality or social status. Anyone is susceptible to acne. Today you can find myriads of advertising booklets and banners that push men and women for trying certain cosmetic products, visiting beauty salons or taking appropriate treatment. There are skin cleaning procedures, vitamins, supplements, and pharmaceutical drugs that promise to help you get rid of pimples. However, experts claim that acne is an internal problem and fighting it from outside can only do so much. There are certain foods that cause pimples that you should avoid eating, but at the same time, there are foods to eat for clean skin.
If you have similar skin problems and you are in a search of the best diet for acne or you want to be knowledgeable about foods that prevent acne, then this guide is for you.
Foods that cause pimples
Many foods exacerbate skin problems that apart from skin dryness and irritation cause more severe problems such as pimples or even chronic acne. High levels of blood sugar account for oxidative processes and chronic inflammation. Blood sugar is not associated with sweets only. The oxidative process is caused by many foods and the most harmful of them are the following:
- Greasy foods – Fatty foods make the blood sugar level change very rapidly from low to high. This causes hormonal problems, increased sebum production, and pore clogging. Another unpleasant effect of fat is that it slows the transportation of oxygen and nutrients to the cells and that results in acne. That is why it is recommended to avoid greasy foods – hamburgers, sausages, French fries, sandwiches, cakes, etc. – when you are on an acne treatment diet.
- Caffeine – Caffeine increases the release of adrenaline but shortly after that it releases the stress hormone. It also causes sleep problems and deprives the human body of the recovery, detoxification, are curing relaxation. So, forget about sodas, coffee, chocolate, black tea and some analgesics unless you want to get pimples here and there on your face. Instead, focus on clear skin foods.
- Dairy products – Dairy products are far from being acne healing foods. They contain a lot of fats and sugar. The most harmful dairy products are cheese and ice cream because, unlike milk and yogurt, in many cases it is hard to find low fat options.
- Alcohol – Alcohol is harmful not only for internal organs but for the skin as well. Drinking alcohol has a detrimental effect on the skin. It is quickly absorbed by the body and converted into sugar. That is why you may find that alcohol is prohibited during weight loss diet, acne treatment diet and other types of diets.
- Sweets – They instantly raise the level of sugar in the blood which has a negative effect on the skin. The more sweet products you eat, the higher the chance of getting acne. If you are looking for what to eat for clear skin, sweets are definitely out of the list of foods that fight acne.
Foods that prevent acne
As far as there are certain foods that cause pimples and inflammation on the skin, in opposition, there are foods that clear skin. All of the products mentioned below will help you, first of all, boost the workings of the digestive system, strengthen the immune system, and raise body tone. The result is your overall wellness and skin beauty.
- Water – Water is one of the best acne healing foods! The very first thing you need to start doing for an anti-acne diet is drinking no less than 8 cups a day for women and 12 cups a day for men. Keep in mind, this is not a total amount of beverages, it concerns only water. Clear skin and healthy wellness are guaranteed!
- Nuts – Nuts will have a stunning result on your skin and body. Eating walnuts in reasonable quantities is equal to taking a vitamin complex that can be found in pharmacies. Walnuts, Brazil nuts, and almonds are rich in selenium, a powerful antioxidant that helps the skin cope with the environment’s adverse effects, it restores the skin and protects it. Nuts take the second place among foods that clear skin.
- Fresh fruit, vegetables and berries – They are a source of natural vitamins and an essential part of an acne treatment diet. Vegetables should be a major part of your acne diet. The most useful vegetables to maintain healthy skin are paprika, tomatoes, spinach, and all kinds of beans. Among fruits, the most beneficial for skin are peaches, apricots, pomegranates, kiwi, oranges, and grapefruits. Sour berries like blackberries, blueberries, and cherries are key foods to avoid acne. They have loads of vitamin C, which is essential for collagen synthesis.
- Fish and meat – Forget about fried chicken or battered fish. Fish and meat work as foods that clear skin only when they are baked, steamed or boiled. Lean meat is rich in healthy proteins while fish, normally fatty types of fish, is the best source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Grains and oils – Do you want to find cheap yet effective foods to eat for clear skin? These are different types of cereals and bread made of course whole wheat flour. All of them are very rich in fiber. As for the oils, use flaxseed oil, olive oil, rapeseed oil or a mixture of oils for a salad dressing.
Now you know what foods you should eat to avoid pimples and acne. You can find all these clear skin foods in your local supermarket. Making little changes in your diet can help your skin start glowing, from the inside out. Eat healthily and stay healthy!