5 Ways to Detox by Following an Easy Healthy Diet Plan
It’s a new year, time for a new you! Or is it a new year, new diet, same you? Whatever. New years resolutions aside, here we have some easy tips that don’t take a whole “diet plan” to implement. We think that small changes that can help you be healthier every day are much more likely to help this year, and all the years after that, be the best and healthiest of your life.
Increase your energy, decrease the amount of sugars, acid, and work that your body has to do to metabolize certain foods, and swap out a coffee or alcoholic drink for water or tea, and you can help your body detoxify and stay clean. And that’s a healthy diet plan we can all subscribe to. Here’s how to do it:
- Drink more water. Even if you’re not sweating up a storm or trekking across a desert, it’s possible you are dehydrated more often than you think. Even if your body loses just 1.5% of its total water (the body is about 60% water), you can be considered to be dehydrated. The issues that come along with mild dehydration range from bad breath (overgrowth of bacteria in the mouth), skin dryness, fatigue, and feeling bloated. A healthy diet plan to drink more water throughout the day can help combat all of these things, as well as help with digestion, and even improve mood, concentration, and neurological functioning.
- Choose natural sugars instead of refined sugars. Even if you’re completely hooked on eating dessert after dinner or snacking on cookies during the afternoon, by changing your eating habits a little each day you can curb those cravings and begin to create cravings for healthy foods. We recommend removing processed foods from your diet and eating more whole foods like fruits or vegetables. Along with this, using natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, and agave nectar. Even substituting one of these natural sugars in your morning latte can have positive effects; it’s not a whole new diet, just a new, more healthy sweetener.
- Detox your liver. Your liver is the where your blood is purified within your body, where alcohol is metabolized, and where many nutrients are processed. Because of this, it is important to take care of your liver. You can help do this by eating more sulfur-dense foods like broccoli, garlic, onions, kale, Brussels sprouts, and cabbage. These foods can support liver detoxification and help it to remove free radicals. In addition to sulfur-containing foods, drinking or taking Milk Thistle supplements have been shown to treat a number of liver conditions and maintain good liver health for thousands of years. Whether you’re just trying to detox, or want to start a weight loss detox, helping to purify your liver is a great place to start.
- Eat more alkaline foods. I bet you didn’t know that today’s diet consists of many acid-forming foods like processed sugars and refined grains. However, a healthy body pH (the pH of the blood) should be slightly alkaline (7 is neutral, it should be around 7.36). When the body is acidic, alkalizing minerals from your bones need to be used to balance the body out. By eating more alkaline-forming foods like dark, leafy greens, algae, fresh fruits, and nuts. Additional benefits of alkaline forming foods include reduction in inflammation, better muscle functionality, and regulated blood sugar levels.
- Drink tea. I know many of us are coffee aficionados (myself included), but more and more research has shown that substituting tea for coffee at least once a day can have great effects. Not only does tea contain more antioxidants than most fruits and vegetables, but tea can also modify metabolic processes to help detox the body of chemicals. Studies done by the Institute for Cancer Prevention have shown that both green and black tea contain polyphenols which were found to block DNA damage associated with toxic chemicals like tobacco. Teas have also been found to increase metabolism and have a moderate effect on weight loss. If you’re looking for an easy way to start any kind of weight loss detox, drinking tea has more benefits than you can count.